Sunday, February 22, 2015

In the kitchen

Back when Hannah was tiny, she always wanted to help in the kitchen.  Of course, then help was really “help,” since it always took longer to make things with her than if I’d been able to do them on my own. 

IMG_0393

I’m not naturally patient, but I decided when Hannah was little that I would encourage kitchen interest in the kids as much as I could.

IMG_0396

Kids seem to have a natural window of kitchen interest at a young age, and if you allow them to “help” at that time, that window will stay open and they’ll develop more interest and skills.  I’m not sure if that window closes if you don’t encourage them, but I don’t want to take that chance!IMG_0392

I like to cook and I want to pass along the skills, at least, if not the enjoyment (because some people just don’t enjoy it, I know!) to my kids.  [Simeon is sauteeing onions for the curry dish we had for dinner that night.  The match in his mouth is supposed to help keep the fumes from making his eyes water.]

IMG_0385

And it really turns out to be a big win for me, since I have kitchen helpers now who can bake all kinds of things, make dishes for dinner, make snacks, and generally make it easier to feed all of us.  Simeon and Hannah, in the pictures above, busily made almost all of dinner for that evening. 

IMG_0380 In a benefit that I didn’t even think of when I started out, letting little people “help” in the kitchen has taught my kids how to let little people “help” in the kitchen.  Hannah made this chocolate chip cookie cake, and Tess helped her. 

It’s pretty awesome to stand in the kitchen, look around, and realize that now that I’ve chopped the onions and garlic, the kids will take care of the rest of dinner.  Or to say, “We’re signed up to bring dessert to this potluck.  Can someone please make cupcakes?”  and have it happen. 

No comments: