Monday, February 2, 2015

First Karate Test!

Hannah, Naomi, and Simeon started taking karate last fall at the dojo where Michael, who is a black belt, trains.  They love it.  The sensei there is really, really excellent with kids.  I know this because I watch most of their karate practices.  As I watch, I recognize the points when my patience would be tried especially, but their sensei continues to calmly instruct them while also motivating them to learn more and become better. 

They had their first karate test on Saturday.

IMG_0511

As I was watching their test, I started thinking about how different my kids’ personalities are (very!), and how they each really love karate.  It seems to appeal to them each in their different ways, which is great!  I’m all in favor of something that teaches exercise, discipline, hard work (that can be fun), honor, and many other things, appeals to many different types of people, and happens indoors so that I don’t have to watch their events in the rain (I’m looking at you, soccer!  Not that there’s anything wrong with soccer, but I do like the indoor aspect of karate class and tests.).  The fact that Michael does karate makes the kids even more avid.  I’m afraid that I’m going to have to take it up, just to be part of the family.

IMG_0510

Naomi and Sim, being the youngest white belts in their class, often get paired up in class.  Then they often work together at home, too, so when they got to be partners during the test, I think it may have relieved some nervousness on their parts.  Hannah (as you see in the first photo) got paired with a very nice mom white belt and seemed to enjoy herself. 

IMG_0506

Naomi volunteered to show one of the techniques that was being tested.  That’s the sensei she’s squared off with.  (Michael is standing in the back on the left – see?  He’s helping grade the test, but not his own kids.)

IMG_0508

Here’s Naomi, trying to punch Sensei in the nose.  He managed to evade the attack. 

IMG_0498Here’s Naomi, demonstrating Elbow Technique #2 on her brother…

IMG_0493

who returned the favor.

IMG_0496

Hannah, having elbow-techniqued a stranger who seemed nice enough (and Michael, demonstrating his awesome black belt grading skeelz on the left there). 

IMG_0469

It was really neat to see the kids demonstrating their new skills, enjoying themselves, and

IMG_0462

looking awesome in their gis. 

IMG_0467

Before the test started, they helped each other review the material. 

IMG_0483

The kids will get their results tomorrow.  We’ll keep you posted. 

No comments: