Sunday, July 20, 2014

Answer Me This -- St. JPII, book nerd awards, and mail

I'm joining Kendra for this week's Answer Me This linkup. 


1. What’s something you've won and how did you win it?

I was going to say I haven't won anything, but as a senior in high school I got the silver pen award for excellence in English. I won it (although does one win academic awards?  Maybe I'm cheating to call this a win...) by loving to read and loving to discuss what I've read, even to discuss it on paper for a grade.  If  I'd read Shogun, I'd be all over Jen's discussion of comparative themes.  Book nerdery is awesome.  I've... encouraged... tons of people to read In This House of Brede (and probably other books, as well, but this is the most recent one) so I could discuss it with them.  The reading group I'm in is basically an outlet for this kind of crazy. 

2. Do you save old greeting cards and letters, or throw them all away? Why?

I love getting cards -- mail in general, really -- but I'm not a saver.  The only ones I keep are the ones my husband or kids write notes in.  I hope this doesn't offend people who send me cards!  I do love getting them!  And I let the kids pick if they want to save theirs.  They each have a memory box for this purpose... well, Felix doesn't have one yet, but he will.  It's close to miraculous that I remember to let the kids save some, because I'm really NOT a saver. 

3. When you’re at home, do you wear shoes, socks, slippers, or go barefoot?

In summer, I go barefoot.  In winter, I wear socks or slippers.  We have a no-shoes policy in our house, strictly enforced on those who live here, not strictly enforced on guests.  As young as 2 our kids know that they go inside and take off their shoes, then put them on the shoe rack.  This is because (a) I think it's better for the kids' feet (and, heck, mine and Michael's too!) to have time outside shoes, (b) floors stay cleaner if that haven't been walked all over in shoes constantly, and (c) this way all the shoes are kept at a shoe rack by the door and nobody is running around the entire house looking for their shoes all the time -- they're either on the shoe rack or by one of the other doors. We started this because of (a), but at this point (c) might be my strongest reason. Not that I'm not in favor of strong feet, but with enough people and enough pairs of shoes in the house, one could spend FOREVER looking for shoes. 

Of course, there is sometimes confusion.  When the kids are first getting the hang of this, around one or two years old, they will take their shoes off when we're inside anywhere.  Which is fine if it's someone else's house, but not the best for places like church or the grocery store. 
 
4. Who’s the most famous person you have ever met?



Michael and I met St. John Paul II on our honeymoon in Italy. We got Sposi Novelli tickets to a Wednesday Audience (through the Archbishop's office), took our wedding clothes to Italy, and got to meet him.  Highlight of our trip!  We were there for the audience during which he signed the letter that introduced the Mysteries of Light.  Seriously, I wish I could remember who told us about getting those tickets because I would love to thank them -- it was so amazing.  And we have the picture framed and hanging in our living room (poor quality photo above). Our kids think it's so cool that we met a saint.  And we do too.

5. What has been your best work of art?

I am not an artist.  I can sew pretty decently, I have a great garden, and my children are awesome, so if you count those as art, they're probably my best.  The kids first. I appreciate art and artists, but I am not one of their ranks. 


 
6.  What’s your strongest sense?

I have a pretty strong sense of smell, especially when I'm pregnant.  I don't know that I've smelled squished ant, like Kendra, but Michael forgot to put a timer on a loaf of baking bread once and I stopped the movie we were watching and said, "The bread is done." And it was.  Yesterday it was the beans that were cooking.  "How long are these supposed to go?" Michael asked.  "I don't know, but I was just thinking they smell done." I don't know exactly what it is that makes done bread or beans smell different than baking bread or cooking beans, but they do have a different smell.  Unfortunately, it's not just good smells that I can smell strongly.  And it means that things that are supposed to smell good often smell WAY TOO STRONG to me.  Hand soaps, lotions, things like that.  But we didn't burn the bread and the beans. 

No comments: